WHY GIVE TO THE FOUNDER AND HIS PROJECTS
HERB'S LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS, ACTIVITIES, AND AWARDS
- 1970 – 1973 A group of persons with disabilities and allies advocated Southern Illinois and the town of Carbondale, Illinois for curb cuts. We also advocated for personal assistants to help us with our needs. Today, Personal Assistants help more than 1,000,000 live independently.
- 1975 -1979 Member of the Illinois Developmental Disabilities Advocacy Authority (IDDAA). Held the Treasury and V.P. posts. Had the responsibility of authorizing the state grants to organizations promoting major environmental improvements which aid the handicapped. Managed annual budget for grants in excess of $900,000.00. Manager of the IDDAA monthly newsletter promoting the independent living of all types of physical and mental disabilities in the state of Illinois. Advocate for all types of disabilities on the local, state, and federal level.
- 1977 – 1980. Aided in the creation of the first Illinois advocacy organizations. In Chicago, Illinois, I create found Access Living.
- 1977 – 1979. Directed the talents of four individuals for the IDDA Newsletter, while in the capacity of Committee Chairman for Public Information and Training with the IDDAA (Illinois Developmental Disabilities Advocacy Authority).
- 1979 – 1981. Aided a group of advocates in charge of mapping Chicago sidewalks for curb cuts.
- 1980 – 1982 Served as Board Member of Access Living of Chicago.
- 1977 – 1984. V.P. of Counsel on Disability Rights.
- 1977 – 1987. Columnist for a disability national monthly newspaper, “Achievement”. My column was titled, “Thunder from the Valley”.
- 1980 – 1985. Aided group to make the Chicago Transit Authority accessible for persons in wheelchairs.
- 1977 – 1986 Member, and Employment Chairman, of ‘Congress of the Physically Handicapped, Inc.’.
- 1984. Founder of Universal Consultants, Inc. Its mission is to promote accessibility for persons with disabilities.
- 1983-1985. Board member on Access Living of Metro Chicago. This was the first newly created agency in Illinois. Aided in getting funding.
- 1984. Aided in hosting first Chicago Mayoral debate for persons with disabilities
- 1985-1990. Work with a group to pass the ADA Act
- 1990 -1994. Worked to pass Education Act allowing students with disabilities to be mainstreamed
- 1995-present. Advocacy Committee of Access Living.
- 1998-2002. Housing committee
- 2002-2005. Member of Illinois Olmstead startup committee
- 2005 – Present. Advocacy chairman and CEO for Olmstead Missions Network.
- 2008-present. Work with advocacy groups on state and national issues to insure the rights of people with disabilities.
- 2015 – Present. Chair for http://www.congressofdisabledpersons.org. Start national advocacy group to write legislation to insure the accessibility for people with disabilities. Focus on the areas of housing, Personal Assistants care, and employment.